At Ma’aden, the goal is to be a welcomed neighbor wherever the company operates.
Ma'aden has designed a Community Management System (CMS) to ensure that its contribution to the Saudi economy brings real opportunities to the communities in and around Ma'aden's mining and manufacturing locations. Ma'aden believes that its relationships with local communities are crucial to its mission; their trust and approval are vital as they define Ma’aden’s social license to operate and grow.
CMS is closely aligned with international best practices. It enables Ma'aden to improve its social performance, allows the employees to better manage risks associated with community issues and improves group-wide learning and knowledge sharing. It ensures that all Ma'aden subsidiaries follow a consistent approach in conceiving and implementing community programmes.
Ma'aden community policy includes the following targets:
- minimize adverse social and community impacts and maximize potential opportunities;
- contribute to the social and economic development of the communities in which Ma'aden operate, and to the wider development of Saudi Arabia;
- support the development and enhancement of a national workforce;
- engage with all stakeholders in a fair, transparent and inclusive manner;
- implement an effective and transparent communication process across the business that informs and engages with internal and external stakeholders;
- conduct regular review and audit of community policies, procedures, and performance;
- undertake routine reporting to internal and external stakeholders on Ma'aden community engagement and social performance activities.
Ma'aden community focus is boosted by the Ma’aden Higher Community Initiatives Committee (MHCIC), which is chaired by the CEO and comprises six other senior executives. Its mandate is to ensure that all Ma’aden community initiatives deliver highly positive social impacts while maintaining alignment with its community initiative principles, business interests and the evolving needs of stakeholders.
MHCIC is a major step forward in ensuring that Ma’aden has a unified approach to community initiatives. Under MHCIC, Ma'aden will continue to foster excellent community relations and deliver on the company conviction that local people should benefit from the company's activity.
At all of Ma'aden mining locations, the company engages with local communities through regular meetings that promote mutual understanding. These meetings help Ma'aden make a realistic assessment of local needs that then become the starting point of the company's programmes. Before the launch of a new project, Ma'aden conducts a detailed social impact assessment in which we lay down a full description of the hosting communities and their social processes, consult with them on the main issues, and identify potential local talent and supplier pools that Ma'aden can integrate in the company's business.