At Ma’aden, our goal is to be a welcomed neighbour wherever we operate.
We have designed a Community Management System (CMS) to ensure that our contribution to the Saudi economy brings real opportunities to the communities in and around our mining and manufacturing locations. We believe that our relationships with local communities are crucial to our mission; their trust and approval are vital as they define Ma’aden’s social licence to operate and grow.
CMS is closely aligned to international best practice. It enables us to improve our social performance, allows us to better manage risks associated with community issues and improves group-wide learning and knowledge sharing. It ensures that all Ma'aden subsidiaries follow a consistent approach in conceiving and implementing community programmes.
Our community policy includes the following targets:
- minimize adverse social and community impacts and maximize potential opportunities;
- contribute to the social and economic development of the communities in which we operate, and to the wider development of Saudi Arabia;
- support the development and enhancement of a national workforce;
- engage with all stakeholders in a fair, transparent and inclusive manner;
- implement an effective and transparent communication process across the business that informs and engages with internal and external stakeholders;
- conduct regular review and audit of community policies, procedures and performance;
- undertake routine reporting to internal and external stakeholders on our community engagement and social performance activities.
Our community focus is boosted by the Ma’aden Higher Community Initiatives Committee (MHCIC), which is chaired by the CEO and comprises six other senior executives. Its mandate is to ensure that all Ma’aden community initiatives deliver highly positive social impacts while maintaining alignment with our community initiative principles, business interests and the evolving needs of stakeholders.
MHCIC is a major step forward in ensuring that Ma’aden has a unified approach to community initiatives. Under MHCIC, we will continue to foster excellent community relations and deliver on our conviction that local people should benefit from our activity.
At all of our mining locations, we engage with local communities through regular meetings that promote mutual understanding. These meetings help us make a realistic assessment of local needs that then become the starting point of our programmes. Before the launch of a new project, we conduct a detailed social impact assessment in which we lay down a full description of the hosting communities and their social processes, consult with them on the main issues, and identify potential local talent and supplier pools that we can integrate in our business.