Health, Safety and the Environment (HSE) is at the heart of every decision we make. We acknowledge that we operate in the mining and mineral processing sector which is hazardous and so HSE is a pre-condition of everything we do. We firmly believe all incidents are avoidable if risk is managed proactively.
Our established HSE Policy and Management System Framework contains the guiding principles that empower the following undertakings:
- We are committed to complying with all applicable HSE laws, regulations, and obligations;
- We enable and practice safe and healthy lifestyles and behaviors both on and off the job;
- We implement systems and provide equipment to prevent harm to people and the environment and enable a healthy, safe and environmentally responsible workplace;
- We integrate HSE factors throughout the whole lifecycle of our assets and products spanning their development, procurement, operation and maintenance, decommissioning and rehabilitation;
- Our current HSE focus areas are the prevention of major accidents, ensuring workers’ fitness for duty, resource conservation and the minimization of impacts related to effluent, waste and biodiversity;
- We actively consult, engage and listen to stakeholders including our employees, investors, supply chain, local communities and customers to understand their HSE concerns and each other’s views;
- We have an ongoing commitment to providing training and ensuring the capability, competency and well-being of everyone working at our facilities and affiliates;
- Our HSE objectives and continual improvement plans are based on proactive risk management which aims to progressively prevent and minimize impacts, losses and injuries; and,
- We will continue to learn from incidents, share information to drive operational excellence and monitor, review and report on our health, safety, security and environmental performance.
We recognize that our HSE culture, management and performance is dependent on our leadership, line management and the ownership of each and every one of us.
Safety Objectives At Ma’aden
- Safety to be a lifestyle and comes first in everything we do
- Everyone can speak freely about Health, Safety & Environmental concerns
- Everyone is competent to be safe in their role and be a role model in Safety
- Ma’aden to be recognized as a leader in safety thinking in the Kingdom
- To understand why things go right and focus on making things go right all the time. To be proactive in the elimination and control of risk
- To utilize our safety resources intelligently, focussing on those programs, projects and initiatives that deliver the biggest benefit for all Ma’aden and its employees.
Safety Culture Program (SafeSTEPS)
Our vision is to build a positive safety culture and a workplace that is free of incidents and injuries. With that in mind, we have developed a holistic Safety Culture Transformation Program to drive behavioural change at Ma’aden.
The main objective of the Program is to shift from a reactive, performance-based approach to safety to a proactive, risk-based approach. To support this, we are integrating health, safety, and environment requirements into all business functions, processes and systems.
The essence of the Program is captured in its brand, SafeSTEPS. It stands for the steps we should all follow when faced with HSE risks: Stop, Think, Evaluate and Proceed Safely. Perform a specific task only if it is safe to do so.